A New York Firm Serving Clients Nationwide
At The Marcowitz Law Firm, we understand that a catastrophic injury can be life changing for both victims and their families. That is why when we take your case, there is no fee unless we win. We know we can’t change what happened, but we can work to recover the compensation you deserve so that you can get your life back on track.
Edward Marcowitz has over 30 years of experience handling personal injury cases. He and his experienced staff are dedicated to treating families with compassion and dignity under what often are extremely trying conditions.
Our aim is to help you and your loved ones decide which course of action is best for you. To discuss your Personal Injury situation, please call us or contact us online now for a free consultation.
Why You Need a Lawyer for a Personal Injury Case
When we’re injured, it’s often simple to describe what happened — and pinpoint who we think is responsible for, say, rear-ending a car or not shoveling a snowy sidewalk. But the law may have a different view. Determining a person’s or business’s legal responsibility, or liability, can be complicated. It often depends upon whether the other party was somehow careless or negligent — as well as what you can prove.
Here’s what a personal injury attorney can do to help you seek the maximum compensation you deserve:
- Assess your claim. A personal injury attorney can evaluate your situation and let you know whether it’s worth pursuing legal action, plus what you’re likely to expect if you do.
- Tackle red tape. Dealing with medical paperwork and the requirements for filing insurance claims can add undue stress at a time when you and your family need to focus on your health. An attorney can collect any documents you already have relating to your injury and gather anything else you might need, such as witness statements and employment records.
- Add resources. An attorney often works with a team of investigators who can examine the technical aspects of your case and help shoulder the workload to determine the true cause of your accident and who should be held responsible for it.
- Review details objectively. Emotions can run high for people affected by personal injury cases. An attorney can look at your situation objectively and present options for resolving your case in the best interests of you and your family. Sometimes this might be a jury trial. Other times, a settlement, mediation, or arbitration is the better route.
- Deal with other lawyers and insurance companies. An attorney representing you will be able to deal with another party’s attorney professionally — and not feel flustered or pressured to make a settlement if that’s not in your best interests. An attorney also can advocate on your behalf to pursue the most compensation possible.
- Charge no fees unless you collect. Perhaps best of all, our personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you don’t pay attorneys’ fees unless you win your case. If you do win, the fees are deducted from your recovery, which means you never pay us directly out of your pocket. (You still may be responsible for certain expenses related to the case, such as a fee to have a doctor review your medical records.)
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
The Marcowitz Law Firm has represented clients in a variety of personal injury cases, such as:
- Slip and Fall Accidents – If you’ve been hurt after slipping and falling on private, commercial, or government property, we can help determine who may be legally responsible and advise you about any compensation you may be eligible to receive for medical treatment and other expenses.
- Car Accidents – The city that never sleeps has a lot of activity on its streets, from cars and trucks to motorcycles, taxis, buses, bicyclists, and pedestrians. We’ll help you sort through the no-fault coverage under the insurance law and gauge whether more serious injuries meet the state’s threshold for pursuing additional compensation.
- Wrongful Death – If a loved one has died because of the fault of another person or entity, such as a driver, product manufacturer or municipality, survivors may be able to seek compensation for funeral expenses, lost wages, and lost companionship. Wrongful death claims can cover all kinds of situations from medical malpractice to car accidents to drunk driving crashes and more.
- Firefighter Injuries – Firefighters have significant legal protections that allow them to seek compensation from a property owner if they’re injured at a site that’s in violation of housing and building codes, among other statutes.
- Construction Site Accidents – In certain situations, New York State Labor Law allows for construction workers and similar laborers to seek damages beyond workers’ compensation insurance if certain safety measures aren’t in place, such as secured railings on scaffolding.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Falls, acts of violence, and recreational activities are among the leading causes of spinal cord injuries, which tend to cause some paralysis and affect different bodily functions such as the respiratory system and bowel and bladder control. Damages in these cases tend to include not just lost earnings but current and ongoing medical expenses, adaptive equipment, home and vehicle modifications for accessibility, and physical and occupational therapy.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Similar to cases involving spinal cord injuries, compensation in these cases may include medical expenses, adaptive equipment, physical and occupational therapy, recreational therapy, vocational counseling, and pain and suffering, in addition to lost wages.
- Nursing Home Negligence – Nursing Homes and their staff are entrusted with the most vulnerable of our population. The elderly deserve our highest levels of respect, care and protection. When that trust is broken, it can have devastating consequences for both the residents and their families. That is why at The Marcowitz Law Firm, we are committed to pursuing claims for maximum compensation where nursing homes have failed to meet the standards they are required to uphold.
- Women's Prison Sexual Abuse Survivors – We fight for victims of sexual abuse, including rape, while incarcerated in New York facilities like Bayview Prison, Albion Prison and Taconic Women’s Correctional Facility. The New York Adult Survivors Act makes it possible for victims of sexual abuse to litigate their claims and seek financial recovery, even if the abuse you experienced was decades ago.
- FELA Cancer Cases – If you or a relative is a railroad worker, you may be eligible under the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA) to file a claim against a railroad company for failure to protect against exposure to diesel fumes, sand dust, solvents, asbestos, and job-related toxins.
Compensation Available Through a New York Personal Injury Claim
Compensation for personal injury claims varies depending on the type of case and the claimant. In a NYCHA Lead Paint Poisoning case, for instance, damages may differ depending on whether the person affected is a child or an adult.
That said, compensation in general applies to lost wages and medical expenses. A personal injury case also might include damages for pain and suffering. For injuries that cause lasting impairments, such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries, also allow for compensation related to changes in the person’s quality of life.
A personal injury attorney can discuss potential compensation related to your circumstances in detail.
How the Marcowitz Law Firm Can Help
Edward Marcowitz has litigated a wide range of personal injury cases and is familiar with the many twists and turns they can sometimes take. He and his staff are compassionate, friendly, and always glad to assist you with a consultation to help guide you through the steps of filing a claim. Please call us or contact us online now for a free claim review and advice about your best legal options. Hablamos Español.